Saturday, September 12, 2009

Raspberry Oatmeal Bars


For my first posts, I decided to share the two desserts I'm in the middle of making for Amy's baby shower tomorrow. You could say they're my "signature" desserts. If we're ever going to a party together and you'd like to make one, please check to make sure I'm not already bringing it :)


Raspberry Cream Cheese Bars

1 1/4 cups quick oats
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I don't like nuts in desserts, so I don't actually include them)
3/4 cup softened butter or margerine
1/2 packed brown sugar
1 cup raspberry jam (I've used strawberry and would like to try blueberry)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 package softened cream cheese


1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Mix oats, flour, 1 cup sugar, coconut, nuts, margerine and brown sugar. Reserve 1 1/2 cups for topping.
3. Pat remaining in ungreased 13 x 9 pan
4. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool at least 5 minutes
5. Spread with jam
6. Mix 1/3 cup sugar, egg and cream cheese and pour over jam
7. Sprinkle with reserve crumb mix
8. Bake 20-25 minutes (until golden) and allow to cool before cutting


Notes: This recipe was originally given to me by my Aunt Linda. I haven't changed a thing about it because it works out great. It's easy to make but takes an hour to do because of the separate baking times. For a healthier version, I've thrown in ground flax seed, reduced the sugar by 1/3 and used "no sugar added" jam. They still taste gooey and wonderful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment